The Lumpkin Family Fund, The Foundation’s primary and largest grantmaking program, reflects the Lumpkin family's historic connection and commitment to the community. A minimum of 50 percent of its annual grantmaking budget is spent on projects in East Central Illinois. Through the Lumpkin Family Fund we work toward a long term vision of holistically healthy communities as captured by our theme, Land, Health, Community.
We make grants in East Central Illinois that reflect our vision:
- Our community has a strong local food system and agricultural economy, resilient businesses, and amenities that attract new businesses and retain local talent. We are prosperous.
- Our community is physically active and values healthy eating. We are well and physically fit.
- Our community has strong leadership and the capacity for collaboration. We are socially engaged.
- Our community works to conserve, protect and preserve the natural environment. We value the natural beauty of the area.
Geographic Areas of Interest
We encourage grants from organizations across East Central Illinois. We give preference to rural organizations and those operating in Coles and the surrounding counties. We are especially interested in programs or projects that connect communities.
Click here for a list of recent grantees.
Focus of Support
We will accept proposals from organizations working to advance our vision for grants that:
- Promote personal health through widespread availability and consumption of healthy, affordable food;
- Grow the local agricultural economy, sustaining and creating new viable farm and farm-related businesses;
- Develop, promote and scale innovative green practices that add productive value to farms while protecting the land for future generations; and,
- Encourage community engagement and collaboration, policy development and research around agriculture and rural development.
Core Grant Program
Grantees with a history of support from the Lumpkin Family Fund that closely match the Land, Health, Community strategic theme may be invited to participate in our new core grant program. This program provides multi-year operational support to organizations working towards outcomes identified in our evaluation framework.
The 2017 timetable for proposals to the Lumpkin Family Fund is as follows:
|2017 Spring Cycle
|Letters of Inquiry due February 17 (not before January 20);
|Applications invited by March 10;
|Applications due April 7;
|Grant decisions made by May 5.
|2017 Fall Cycle
|Letters of Inquiry due August 25 (not before July 28);
|Applications invited by September 15;
|Applications due October 13;
|Grant decision made by November 3.
Click here to apply online!
Please direct inquiries on the Lumpkin Family Fund to:
Amanda Standerfer, Program Officer